Sunday, December 20, 2009

Little Blizzard

It didn't officially reach blizzard conditions here in New York, but it sure did feel like one!  I had to wake up at 6AM to trudge down three blocks and deliver heavy Sunday newspapers to 100 waiting customers with my sister.  Normally, we get some help from our mother, with the car, but because of how bad the side roads were, we did a lot more walking than usual in a foot of snow, sometimes two or three feet in places that the wind had distorted it.  If I may be honest, it was dreadful - better than what I expected, since many people had already begun cleaning their properties, but still very cold, wet, and tedious work. Let's just hope that the Christmas tips this year make it worth it.


It didn't end there - we did a lot of clean up outside after that.  I dug out around my car, fearful that the snow plows would pile up on the snow already there and totally block me in.  The three of us -  mom, sis, and me - cleaned the walkways, the driveway, and the sidewalk, too. It was a lot of work!  

Marge got not one, but TWO snowy walks today in the field, in addition to a play session outside in the yard.

On the first walk, we plummeted into a field of total whiteness.  After initially getting upset over the huge bank she had to climb, thanks to the snow plows, we tumbled (literally) into solitude and a heck of a lot of snow.  She ran around like a kid at Christmastime on her 50' line.


She began to adopt the "hop like a bunny" strategy, an action I see performed often by dogs who frequently see snow.  She looked absolutely adorable doing it.


True to my nature as an obsessive and impulsive picture taker of all things dog, here is a short video of the fun:



We didn't stay out too long - if we were out ten minutes, it was a lot. Walking through snow is hard work! Marge makes it look easy here, but the reality was that she went home and passed out in her crate for at least a half an hour, not even budging when I left the room.


One more snow-covered shot. Marge looks like Harry Potter with the obnoxious trail of snow scarring her forehead.


After some recuperation, we headed out into the yard.  The plan was for my sister and I to build a snow man, but the snow was very light and fluffy, so it didn't stick together well.  Maybe we'll finish it tomorrow.

Marge made trenches with her body by mozying back and forth.  


In one of the clearer areas, she performed her "up" trick instead of the "beg" that I asked for. I don't think she wanted to sit in the snow.


Then looked up at me with the face that I'll never get sick of for as long as I live.


She stood behind the wind drifts, careful not to send herself crashing in to them.  I guess that, although she likes snow, she doesn't like really really high snow.  I won't have a Bailey on my hands here any time soon.


In the wake of our failed snowman, this snow drift became a makeshift igloo where Marge crawled in to to retrieve a couple of treats. The picture doesn't show it well, but it was a couple of feet long underneath the snow! Good thing it didn't fall on her.


A few laps around the yard later, we called it quits and headed inside...


...Only to go back out, on our second walk of the day! It took us to one of our favorite places. I don't know how I made it there in snow-caked pajama pant and unsatisfactory boots, but yes, we walked down to the beach.

Marge was happy to hit the familiar sand, but was slightly bothered by the sounds of a loud and large pack of kids at the other end of the beach.


Still, she was willing to navigate around the snow and rocks with me (it's hard knowing where to step when everything is covered in white!) to take in the gorgeous view.



We didn't stay long, just hung out enough time to take a breather from wading in the knee-deep snow.  Shortly after this picture was taken, an odd but strong wave sputtered over the rocks in little squirts and nearly got Marge wet, sending her running off far away out of its reach (as far as the 20' would allow, anyway).


The return trip beckoned, and it was time to head home. Marge began to joyfully hop over the mounds of snow again, but I opted to just watch and laugh and smile instead of take many photos. She was having a grand time.


Once off of the beach, we clung to the guard rails near the field and connected road, where nature had laid out a perfect and easy walkway for us. Snow drifts can be good, sometimes!


Suffice to say, I am POOPED. Marge will not be getting her night walk today; I'm tired, cold, and even after a hot shower, still feel the tingly feeling of snow of my feet and legs. Marge is curled up in a corner, snoozing the evening away. I can't blame her - and let's hope her nap lasts for a few more hours!

26 comments:

Sara December 20, 2009 at 7:20 PM  

What a day! I'm exhuasted just reading about it.

Marge looks like she had a blast in the snow!

Two French Bulldogs December 20, 2009 at 7:49 PM  

Wow..how exciting running and jumping and playing in all that white stuff. It looks like so much fun. But I think we would sink. BOL
Benny & Lily

Frankie Furter and Ernie December 20, 2009 at 8:23 PM  

Hi Marge, I am really glad that you have L O N G legs so you can enjoy the snow... me..not so much. Fun seeing you in it though.

KB December 20, 2009 at 8:28 PM  

Marge looks sooooo happy! I love the video, where you can barely keep the camera on her because she's moving so fast.

I've never been to a beach in the snow. It was beautiful, and a good idea for avoiding walking in deep snow. Thanks for sharing the photos and the story of your day.

Dexter December 20, 2009 at 8:32 PM  

What is up with you labradogs? My dumb brother went all bouncy running through the snow with no destination too.

Momma is most tired from all her snow removal adventures but she said it had to be done before things started to get hard.

I bet you are very sleepy for sure. Gosh, I just stood in the snow and got sleepy.

Oh yeah, momma is all smushy over the closeup of Marge. She obviously is soft for the black pointy headed dogs.

Slobbers,
Mango

Deborah December 20, 2009 at 8:55 PM  

I agree with Sara, I'm also tied after reading about your day!
Marge does look like Harry Potter! That's cute!
All dogs love snow, except Mr. Chips, my little guy :)

Cyndi and Stumpy December 20, 2009 at 9:11 PM  

Marge brought back memories of my ol' Wabbit dog and how much fun we had in the snow. Not Stumpy, though... two minutes and she's had enough!

Bijou December 20, 2009 at 9:24 PM  

Hi Marge,

Watching you run around in the snow reminded our mom of the big dogs she used to have. They enjoyed the snow too. Our mom agrees that shoveling it off the walks is hard work!

Waggles,
Bijou

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! December 20, 2009 at 10:05 PM  

It is the just the bestest kind of fun we khan have!!!

Tank woo fur sharing!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

BlackDog's Photographer December 20, 2009 at 10:09 PM  

Marge is so cute in all that snow! Looks like fun. Jesse says to tell you she's on her way over to play and hopefully bring some of that snow back home with her. She thinks it's way to much for young Marge to handle all by herself.

Muttsandaklutz December 20, 2009 at 10:11 PM  

LOVE that video, and great pictures too. That is one happy dog.

Anna the GSD December 20, 2009 at 10:33 PM  

I'm going to take a nap for Marge okay? Wowzer!

Marge, you look fantastic in that snow!! You stand out nicely!

Lorenza December 20, 2009 at 10:33 PM  

I loved watching Marge running around in the snow! Sure she enjoyed it a lot!
And then... a nice time at the beach! Two different views!
I can understand you feel so cold now!
Sounds like a good time for a nice and hot chocolate!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Carolyn December 20, 2009 at 10:35 PM  

Oh! We're sooooooo jealous! We need another good storm!

I just love the video of Marge playing in the snow! She was totally into it!!

Stay warm!

-C

Ms. ~K December 20, 2009 at 11:49 PM  

Having lived most of my life in the South, I've only experienced that much snow while visitng Canada and Alaska...I would love to be able to share it w/ my dogs!
Thanks for sharing your day!
Hugs and belly rubs to Marge,
Kit

Kathy Mocharnuk December 21, 2009 at 1:31 AM  

WOW, I am sure we will not get snow so it is so cool to get to share a little of yours~ I LOVE the video of Marge, she looks great hopping through the snow.

Dog_geek December 21, 2009 at 8:17 AM  

Looks like very much fun! Our dogs were all totally zonked out from running in the deep snow, too. (And my snowman attempt was also a failure, if that makes you feel better!)

Jules December 21, 2009 at 8:52 AM  

What a wonderful day! love the video of Marge - she looks like she is having a BLAST!

Sue December 21, 2009 at 9:45 AM  

I love watching her run and jump thru the snow. She is definitely a winter dog.

Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly December 21, 2009 at 11:13 AM  

Marge looks like she is in heaven in all that snow!! We love her igloo too! Such happy pictures!!

Woofs and Kisses!

Sara December 21, 2009 at 11:46 AM  

I saw your comment on Kathy's blog, about wearing a collar in the ring.

DOCNA allows dogs to wear collars in trials, as long as there are no tags attached. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of DOCNA venues on the East Coast. The closest one to you would probably be in Barto, PA. I know they do outdoor trials in spring/summer. DOCNA is a superfriendly organization. Very laid back and fun.

Just thought I'd let you know.

Kari in Alaska December 21, 2009 at 12:46 PM  

she sure looked like she loved that snow! the extra workout is also a bonus :)

Gus, Louie and Callie December 21, 2009 at 1:59 PM  

Oh Marge we are so jealous of you.. That looks like so much fun. We love the video.. You are one lucky pup..


Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Roxanne @ Champion of My Heart December 21, 2009 at 6:08 PM  

Snow on the beach. That's new for me.

BRUTUS December 21, 2009 at 8:57 PM  

That looks like a lot of snow to me! My little dogs have to dolphin dive when it gets over 6 inches, Brutus would have been totally submarining in that stuff!! Never thought of snow & the beach in the same day - sort of ironic! Don't our dark-coated dogs look better than ever against the endless white blanket???

Michelle & Brutus

D.K. Wall December 21, 2009 at 9:30 PM  

Love the snow video. That is the purpose snow - crazy, crazy fun.

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP