Friday, December 11, 2009

New York Winter


That's it - it looks like winter is officially here.  No more of those fluke 65-and-sunny days are forecasted.  The wind has been whipping around like crazy, making it feel even colder than it already is.  More windy days are in the forecast, and tonight the RealFeel is estimated to be a whopping 6 degrees.  

Nevertheless, I suited up in multiple layers and even a hood and gloves (two things I barely ever wear) because Marge really needed a good, long walk.  

We extended our usual route to the beach, walking a little farther in almost all directions.  It was about an hour long, and spanned at least two miles. 

Marge pranced through the grass, completely unfazed by the cold and wind, and scoured her environment for things to sniff.  I cannot emphasize enough how different she becomes when the weather is cold and she's itching for exercise.


As we made our way closer to the beach, we passed the deserted swings, basketball courts, and playgrounds.  I'm pretty sure this is the only time in Marge's life where she's ever gotten to explore here, because, as you can imagine, there are teems of scary things here during the warm months.


Just minutes later, we reached the sand. It was so dry compared to our last few visits after rain storms that it almost reminded me of a desert. Marge was anxious to round the bend and run across the long strip of beach beyond that grass, but I always rein her in first and make sure that no one is there. It's a popular spot for offleash dogs.


We were in luck. There was no one in sight, so the fun began.


The water behind her looked wild, grey, and frigid.  The waves weren't high, but they looked very strong.


We walked along the beach some more, reaching a point where we could climb up the sand wall and reach the paved paths through the woods.  Though I don't enjoy it nearly as much as our secluded hikes, it's still a nice place to have within walking distance.

Here, she leads the way.  Almost all of my videos of Marge are from agility practice, so I thought this was something different.  


We reached the field just a few minutes later, en route to our house. Her ears stood straight up as I called her to me.


She lunged outward as I threw a treat for her into the grass.  It's one of her favorite games to play, and, during the summer, keeps her occupied so she doesn't focus on the activity going on around her.


One more shot before we crossed the street for home.


We reached home and I was frozen.  Marge, of course, still had more in the tank.  I'm sure that very shortly after this is posted she'll be jumping all over me, wagging her tail and poking me with her wet nose in an attempt to get me out the door yet again.

23 comments:

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! December 11, 2009 at 7:41 PM  

Maybe Marge is REALLY a Siberian!

I was outside more than I was inside today!

It was a pawesome day to have a snooter!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Frankie Furter and Ernie December 11, 2009 at 7:45 PM  

I am just in awe of your ability to stand the cold... with no more hair than you have. I have lots of long hair, butt I just freeze when I go out in the winter.
Weren't your paws even cold???? brrrrr shiver shiver
I am soooo glad that you had a fun time on the beach. You look like you had a grrreat time.

Two French Bulldogs December 11, 2009 at 8:10 PM  

It looks like winter. 6 degrees! We could even count to 6. Yikes. Careful your toes don't freeze in that water. It still looks like you are having lots of fun out there.
Stay warm
Benny & Lily

KB December 11, 2009 at 8:49 PM  

Marge reminds me so much of my black lab, R. Except for Marge's high tail carriage with a little upward curl, I could mistaken them for each other.

You're super lucky to have the beach so close. Believe it or not, neither of my current dogs have ever visited the beach. They'd have a blast. I'd love to see their reaction to waves. Maybe someday...

Marge looks so relaxed in the video. It's wonderful to see.

As for tossing treats on the ground, it's a trick that my dog trainer has taught me for when K is nervous about something in the environment. Instead of handing her treats for good behaviors, my trainer has me drop them on the ground. That distracts K from the scary thing while she searches for the treat. It works only if she's not too scared or amped up. When she's over the top, she decides that the treat is not worth the trouble.

The ability to convince me to ignore bad weather and go outside into it is a wonderful thing about my dogs! I bet that you feel the same way.

Are your exams over? It's Friday so maybe they are. If so, kick back and relax!

Cyndi and Stumpy December 11, 2009 at 9:41 PM  

It's cold here, too...not as cold as the east coast, though! Love love love and miss miss miss walks on the beach in the winter... you east coast bloggers kill me...

Stumpy has been crushin' on Noewood since we started blogging, so tell Marge, "PAWS OFF!!!"

Carolyn December 11, 2009 at 10:01 PM  

Sounds like our nasty temps have finally arrived in your neck of the woods!

We had subzero temps sitting over us for several days: highs of -5 and lows of -26. Fun for everyone! Lol!

Have a great weekend and good luck with finals!

-C

Ms. ~K December 11, 2009 at 10:38 PM  

Love the picture where all four feet are off the ground...she looks like a deer leaping!!!
Hugs and belly rubs to Marge,
Kit

Kathy Mocharnuk December 11, 2009 at 11:46 PM  

I LOVE the video, it made me feel like I was on a walk with Marge, but without having to be in the cold, LOL. I love the look you captured on Marges face in the lace picture.

Lorenza December 12, 2009 at 12:25 AM  

Sure Marge had a great time there!
Cold weather is not for me!
60 degrees make me wear a t-shirt and a sweater!
Have a great weekend!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Sara December 12, 2009 at 6:45 AM  

Brrrrrr! We braved the cold yesterday too, and went for a walk. I'm sure people thought we were nuts.

Love the video of the walk thru the leaves. Marge looks like she's having fun.

Dexter December 12, 2009 at 6:55 AM  

We are not afraid of the cold either, but there is icky ice everywhere and that is most uncomfortable for our tender feet.

Thank you for taking us on your walk. PeeWee is fascinated by Marge's bottom. Must be a labrathing.

Slobbers,
Mango

Golden Samantha December 12, 2009 at 10:17 AM  

Hi Marge! Thanks for taking me on your great walk! Can't believe your mom didn't freeeeeeeeze to death - Mom's heard from her family in NYC how cold it's gotten - and you! Don't know how you stand it, but maybe you have a double layer of fur like labs or me??? Love the woodsy movie - looked warmer in the leaves, tho I'm sure it wasn't! I'm surprised there's no snow!
Hugs xo
Sammie

Gus, Louie and Callie December 12, 2009 at 4:46 PM  

What a great place for a walk. Much nicer when there isn't anyone around..
We sure would love to play on that beach with you and walk through those woods..
We love it outside this time of the year too. The colder the better but Mom doesn't agree. Herding this AM was cold when mom sat still but while we were working she said she was fine...
Sure hope you stopped over to see Norwood. He is a pretty cool chap..

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Martha December 12, 2009 at 5:17 PM  

We loved the rustle of the leaves in your video. You could have been walking in our woods in Scotland.
That just looked to us like the perfect day for a walk - cold and crisp.
You are very lucky to be able to walk to a beach and we liked the beach pics too.
Marge looked as though she really enjoyed the beach.
love
Martha & Bailey xxx

Diana December 13, 2009 at 6:50 AM  

Looks like Marge had a great time. I hope you did too. Diana

Cinnamon and Mint December 13, 2009 at 7:54 PM  

Hi Sam and Marge,

It seems you had a great walk despite the cold winter weather. We can see that Marge really enjoyed it from her expressions!

D.K. Wall December 13, 2009 at 8:56 PM  

What an excellent walk. Nothing like a little cool air to get the humans to move a little faster.

Kari in Alaska December 13, 2009 at 11:12 PM  

she looks so happy in those pics. Her tail is up with a happy swagger! I have to say I don't miss the cold walks

Life With Dogs December 13, 2009 at 11:42 PM  

Isn't it amazing how the cold is lost on dogs? I can walk ten miles in deep snow with Sola and she's ready to go out as soon as we are back. If only we could bottle that energy!

Dog_geek December 14, 2009 at 8:57 AM  

Brrrr! The cold is bad enough, but cold and windy just about does me in!

Can't wait to hear how your first indoor agility class goes!

Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly December 14, 2009 at 9:52 AM  

Looks like you and Marge had a great time on your walk. It's good that Marge was able to relax and enjoy it so much!

Woofs and Kisses!

Ruby and Penny December 14, 2009 at 3:00 PM  

Marge looked like she had fun smelling through all those leaves.
We love to see her enjoy her walks.
Love Ruby & Penny

Sue December 15, 2009 at 12:25 PM  

What a great hike you had.It's really fun to see them come alive when the weather cools off, isn't it? Tsar sleeps in the basement all summer and only goes out twice a day, now I have to chase him around to get him inside.

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP