Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Paws in the Sand

I'm on a break at college, stranded here without my trusty car (which needed work done on it), frustrated because my texts aren't sending to my boyfriend (we like each other, but our phones don't), who is supposed to be picking me up several hours from now.  My internet connection is mostly nonexistent because of my location smack-dab in the middle of campus on a cold concrete outdoor bench.


What better time for writing a MargeBlog to remind me of the pooch I'm going home to?

As I hinted yesterday, Marge and I took a walk all alone on the beach yesterday.  It lasted about an hour and spanned about 1.25 miles each way.  That's a fairly long way when you're trudging through sand!

When we got there, Marge spotted the last vestiges of the now-gone beach season.  As I've mentioned, dogs aren't allowed on certain New York City beaches during the warm months, but, in the winter time, they become paradise for dogs like Marge who'd rather walk with no one around.


Though the strip of beach isn't that wide, you still can't see over the dunes of sand to the path where joggers and bikers are usually found. It gives the illusion of being totally isolated. The sounds of the ocean, when the tide is rough, also helps to mask outside sounds.


Marge turned to look back at me, urging me to catch up.


And so we continued on as she wished, her agile black body moving swiftly across the wet sand.


Next, we explored one of the jettys. The tide was low and quiet, so we were able to walk alongside it.  Marge stretched out to retrieve a treat that I had dropped, careful to not let the water gobble her up.


At the next jetty, Marge stood tall and looked out at the vast expanse of sand around her. This was quite a ways away from the first one pictured, but I didn't take many pictures in between since the sand can be kind of a boring background sometimes.


After walking through a field of beach grass and getting temporarily spooked by someone yelling loudly on the other side, we reached this old formation.  It appears to be part of an old boat dock or something, and it's on a part of the beach that isn't used much even in the warm months, as far as I know.


Our final stop was one more jetty. We were now approaching the busy boardwalk and I surmised that Marge wanted a drink of water, so after this plummet down on to the sand, we started back the way we came.


We ran for some of the way back, though I tired out quickly. For the short time it lasted, it was exhilarating to move at such fast speed with Marge. If not for the fact that Marge was eager to get back, I may have dropped the long line. Here, she poses one last time after our little sprint, a total contrast to the sun reflection on the water behind her.


One final shot before we climbed upwards back towards the path, which I spoke about yesterday in the training update.  


Needless to say, we were BOTH tired after this voyage!  Still, it's usually great fun when we go out together, and I'm glad to have these scenic and special walks with her.  Perhaps that's one positive of having a fearful dog - I'm forced to walk in beautiful places and take myself away from busy life in the city.

19 comments:

Sara December 2, 2009 at 4:34 PM  

Wonderful photos! How cool to have your own private public beach (is that an oxymoron?).

Gus, Louie and Callie December 2, 2009 at 4:38 PM  

Oh what a beautiful place for a walk. We so enjoy isolated beaches too. Mom lets the leash dangle so we can run and play of course she has to keep her eye out for bikers. The Red's like to chase those.. One dude was peddling very fast to stay in front of them one day asking mom is he should be scared.. Of course he was perfectly safe they just love to run...


Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Cyndi and Stumpy December 2, 2009 at 6:05 PM  

You are making us homesick again, Sam. I love the picture of marge jumping down.

Roxanne @ Champion of My Heart December 2, 2009 at 6:41 PM  

That second to last shot is dreamy. Good one!

Frankie Furter and Ernie December 2, 2009 at 6:51 PM  

Hi Marge and Sam. What a grrreat time you had on that beach. Fun x's 2. Good to see.

Kathy Mocharnuk December 2, 2009 at 6:59 PM  

That is just so pretty. You are very lucky to have such a pretty place to hike around at, and you are especially lucky to have such a great partner to go hiking with

Deborah December 2, 2009 at 8:21 PM  

I would love to go to the beach just to walk! How much fun that would that be!
Great pictures!

The Army of Four December 2, 2009 at 9:34 PM  

Those are beautiful pix! I especially like that second to the last one.
And I really wish we had a beach like that at the Kansas Ocean. I forgot to ask for a beach when I asked for an ocean. I've gotta write Santa about that!
Play bows,
Zim

Golden Samantha December 2, 2009 at 9:52 PM  

What a wonderful tale of a terrific stroll on an abandoned beach!!! Spectacular photos, especially the next to last one, where Marge is silhouetted. Absolutely gorgeous!
Huggers xo
Sammie

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! December 2, 2009 at 9:53 PM  

What a great khollekhtion of pikhs!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

BRUTUS December 2, 2009 at 10:00 PM  

What a great walk! That 2nd to last picture is a framer for sure!! This reminds me of when I had horses - you'd train & train, and it was such a treat for them to just go out to the pasture and just be horses again. What a little piece of paradise you have there!

Michelle & Brutus

Sue December 2, 2009 at 10:18 PM  

Oh how I wish there was a beach near here where I could walk my dogs. We'd have super zoomies, I'm sure.

RILEY AND STAR MY MALTESEKIDS December 2, 2009 at 10:54 PM  

Lovely pictures. It's odd to see the beach so deserted but it is cold in New York that's for sure. Mommy grew up there.

Keep warm!

Luv you Marge,
Riley and Star.

Lorenza December 2, 2009 at 10:58 PM  

Yes, you are soooo lucky!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Martha December 3, 2009 at 3:57 AM  

Love all the pictures but the second from the bottom is particularly nice.
We love the beach although not too near.
It is calming and exhilerating at the same time!
love
Martha & Bailey xx

D.K. Wall December 3, 2009 at 4:51 AM  

We don't get to walk on the beach often, but when we do, we really love it. Planning to go for a week after Christmas.

Ruby and Penny December 3, 2009 at 9:15 AM  

What a great place to walk. We loved all the pictures.
Love Ruby & Penny

KB December 4, 2009 at 9:32 AM  

My internet connection has been giving me trouble but I am so glad that I just noticed that I'd missed this post.

The photos are beautiful! I especially love the second to last one with Marge's strong physique on display in the sun. You and I like similarly fit dogs, thin enough to see the muscle definition. My dogs and Marge are so similar in that regard!

I'm happy that you had such a fun day with your girl!

Tibetan Mastiff Puppy December 5, 2009 at 10:44 AM  

Marge looks sooo cool :) Great quality pictures too, beautifully rich colors. What camera did you use?

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP