Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Tuesday Training 28

We had an great and productive lesson with Marisa yesterday.


This was the bulk of our work. In the black sequence, Marge had to "go out," and in the white sequence, she had to come in to my hand. We handled the go outs much, much better than the come ins, but the handling did start to click towards the end.


We also did some work on front crosses. I am very, very late with my fronts, and that problem is exacerbated by the fact that Marge's stride over the jump is pretty big and she isn't reading the fronts that well yet. To counter this, Marisa put a gate alongside one of the jumps so that Marge had to adjust herself as I front crossed.

We're going to have another lesson next week. I think we're going to put out more standard course equipment and less jumps. It's been a couple of weeks since Marge has seen contact equipment.

We're roughly a month away from the trial now. The plan is to keep training with Marisa privately, and drop into class one or two times. I might have the opportunity to go back out to train in New Jersey, but I'm not holding my breath.

Our first APDT Rally trial of the year will be on April 24 and/or 25, indoors at my club's training building. It will be a small trial, probably less than 100 entries per day, and Level 1 (Marge's class) will most likely run first. I'm unsure if I want to do both days with her. I probably will send in my entry for both, and then play it by ear the weekend of the trial. To prepare for that, I'm going to keep training with my friend and her Westie on AKC courses, and also train privately a couple of times to run APDT style courses, too. After that, we'll possibly have another Rally trial in July. By then, I'd like to be ready to run her in Level 2 - we're starting to work on the exercises now for that class.

I'm sorry I've neglected the blog this week. My absence will probably continue for another couple of days, or maybe until the weekend. For a couple of reasons, I am physically and emotionally tired.

18 comments:

Kathy Mocharnuk March 2, 2010 at 4:21 PM  

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE box work, I think it makes it so much easier to work on handling on the timing with out having to worry about and correct contact preformances, and things like that. Looks like a great lesson. How cool that Marge's class will get their turns first, I wish they would do that with more trials.

Kari in Alaska March 2, 2010 at 4:31 PM  

take the time to get yourself back on track :) I am sure you guys will be awesome at the trial!

LauraK March 2, 2010 at 5:56 PM  

Looks like some great exercises you worked on! I know how you feel being both emotionally and physically tired- hang in there :)

Cyndi and Stumpy March 2, 2010 at 5:58 PM  

I am so excited for the upcoming trial, as I see and hear Marge (and you) improving in leaps and bounds!

Don't worry about us. We'll be here!

Chris and Ricky March 2, 2010 at 7:03 PM  

Glad you had such a great lesson! We saved your exercise map and we're going to try it at home if our snow ever melts!

Sorry you're so worn out - try to take it easy on yourself and give yourself a little time to recover!

Golden Samantha March 2, 2010 at 8:27 PM  

How exciting about your first trial! And that diagram of the work you did looks sooo confusing to me and even tho I don't understand the terminology of "black vs. white" course work, I am totally impressed! Sorry we haven't been around lately - hiatus, trip, then sickies - we've missed reading your blog lots! Sam has a trial coming up 3/25 - hopefully her last leg of Novice? Keep up the awesome work! Marge looks great in the snow (last post!)
Hugs xo
Sammie

Dexter March 2, 2010 at 8:30 PM  

Oh Marge mom, do take care of yourself. The emotional tired is the worst. Hope you get some time for yourself.

Mango Momma

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! March 2, 2010 at 9:18 PM  

OH YES!

What Mango Momma pawed fur sure!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra & Khousin Merdie

BRUTUS March 2, 2010 at 9:24 PM  

Gotta love the threadle! We've worked on similar drills lately (that and 270s, ugh!). Sounds like you've got lots of great challenges planned for the spring. Betcha that Marge will rise to the occasion and make you proud!!

Michelle

kissa-bull March 2, 2010 at 11:37 PM  

we'll keep ALL our paws crossed for you
pibble sugars and wee wags
the houston pittie pack

Lorenza March 2, 2010 at 11:51 PM  

We are sending you kisses and hugs!
Take a time for yourself.
We hope everything is going to be ok!
Take care
Lorenza and mom

Jules March 3, 2010 at 9:46 AM  

Glad you had such a productive lesson. You and Marge have a lot to look forward to and work toward. I hope you get some much needed rest.

Diana March 3, 2010 at 10:48 AM  

I hope you feel better soon. Diana

AC March 3, 2010 at 12:10 PM  

I'm glad you and Marge are getting some good practice in before your trials.

I hope that whatever is getting you down passes quickly. I know Kona helps to keep my spirits up, but when you're physically down on top of everything, it can be tough to keep on trekking.

Martha March 3, 2010 at 3:23 PM  

You know we don't really understand all the agility stuff.
We do understand about feeling physically and emotionally tired and insist you look after yourself, Sam!
Take care.
xxxxx

Gus, Louie and Callie March 3, 2010 at 5:07 PM  

Wow the trial is coming up so fast.. Marge you are doing just fine.. Funny how some of the commands/wording are the same as herding. We have out runs, go by's, walk ups...


Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Anonymous March 4, 2010 at 11:48 AM  

Gosh, I don't know how you and Marge do it. My high school class yesterday was hard enough! I can't imagines having to do geometry like that picture in your post. My mom and me think you and Marge are Most Smart!

Take good cares of yourself!

Wiggles & Wags,
Mayzie

Unknown March 4, 2010 at 7:53 PM  

Sorry to hear you're worn out. Take it easy. Y'all are going to do great at the trial! I'm sure of it!

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP